Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Idea

Staring at a blank page on a computer screen is torture for a writer.  The moment I decided that I wanted to write a teen paranormal romance, I knew only one thing for sure...it couldn't be about vampires and werewolves.  So off to the Internet I went. 

I began researching all sorts of mythical creatures.  I visited our local library and researched there as well.  When all the dust settled, I was left with unicorns.  The dilemma was that I didn't want my book to sound ridiculous and unimaginable.  I had to create a story that people could believe in, but I still wanted that different world feel to it.  After several weeks of research and creativity, my characters began to come to life. 

Meet Skye Kelley.  Skye is a sixteen year old student at Spruce Creek High School.  She enjoys acting and loves her best friend Jules.  Working at Hot Topic in the mall, Skye likes to dress borderline gothic.  It's all part of her guise though because Skye carries a secret that no one outside of her family knows.  Yet a constant reminder is worn around her neck.  Her rose quartz gem holds her hostage to a secret that has tormented her since her eighth birthday.

Meet Mike Evans.  Mike is what most teens would refer to as a prep.  He dresses in Abercrombie and has copper colored coins in his shoes.  On a whim, he and his friends enter Hot Topic one day and Mike finds himself enamored with Skye.  Naturally, Skye blows him off, as she does with all the boys who fall for her.  But Mike doesn't give up easily. 

Follow these two characters in my book, Cycle Thirteen.  Available soon! 

1 comment:

  1. okay...so chomping at the bit here....can you post some more....please??

    ReplyDelete