Sunday, October 7, 2012

Normal?

Is it normal to feel like everything you've written for the past few years is crap?  I am in the process of doing my pre-edits and sometimes I read something and I find myself wondering why they picked me.  I'm no stranger to self doubt and low esteem issues, but honestly, as excited as I am about being published, I am also scared to death.  My friends and family will read this.  Don't get me wrong, there's no Fifty Shades references or anything like that.  Judgement is where my fear presides.  Will they like it or will they kindly tell me to my face that it's good but then secretly send private messages throughout Facebook land on how awful a writer I am?  For those of you who are experienced at this, I'm curious...is this normal? 

Funny, as I look over what I just wrote, I am reminded of my main character, Skye.  She, too, is in the self-loathing club at times.  Wonder where she gets it from? 

2 comments:

  1. Yes Jill it is normal. I'm saying it from experience. And even once you have that story under your belt, you are still going to question how they ever picked you and if you will ever write again. Just don't let the doubts in your head stop you from writing from your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa! Means a lot coming from you. :)

    ReplyDelete